The Familiar and the Unfamiliar – Festival Diary, Day 9.

"You will go to a theatre festival to meet some of your classmates", my teacher explained on my first visit to the University in Targu Mures, "It is in Gyergyó".

"Can you please spell that for me?"

***

The unknown and I have an odd relationship. Although at times I can appear to be very neurotic in my decision making, I too can be spontaneous. I like new things. I like going on adventures. With that being said, there was still a twinge of nervousness as we approached the theatre. What exactly am I doing here?

Like a good friend, the familiarity that comes along with being in a theatre is pretty magical. It feels like the right place to be, even if you have nothing to do. Whether it is being an audience member or sitting in the bar, there is an energy, an air of creativity and excitement. No matter where in the world I am, being in a theatre always feels like home.

***

The theatre festival has been a great experience. Over the past few days I have been impressed with the selection of plays. The mixture of languages and styles and to an extent subject matter. I have found there is something very exciting about watching performances in a language you do not understand. The words act as part of the soundtrack and your mind can concentrate on other details. I have also been surprised by the generosity I have experienced – everything from the little old hotel woman making us a late night cup of tea to take the chill off, to the restaurant providing me with meat free meals has all been greatly appreciated.

***
Today began a bit earlier than others as I wanted to finish off my review of last night's play. It was a struggle, but I rolled myself out of bed, hit the street, and snuck into the theatre while the cleaners swept the lobby.

Another vegetarian creation awaited me at breakfast. The tea warmed me up and cleared my head and I was ready to head back to the theatre to listen to a talk with actors from last night's show. Once again it was in Hungarian so I have no idea what was said, but it seemed like people were enjoying themselves.

Myself and Orsi, my friend, roommate and Hungarian translator, spent a few hours in the theatre bar. She did some interviews and I wasted time answering some long awaiting emails and fretting about my dissertation. After she had finished we went for lunch, and then walked to the train station to get our tickets. The sun finally decided to show up for the festival and so the walk was quite pleasant.

It seems as though everyone is getting ill or already has been. A tickle in my throat has started and my eyes are looking glassy. As Orsi was going home this afternoon I decided to take a nap to try and fend off the dreaded lurgy before it hits me full force.

I awoke and retreated to the theatre. There was a bit of time before this evening's production, so I had a quick Skype conversation with my mom in Canada. Then it was show time once again, and I took my seat and settled in ready for another theatrical experience.

***

For me, visiting Gyergyó is just a taste of what I will experience during my time in Romania. Tomorrow I will make my way back to the city. Thankful for the opportunity to have visited the festival. Who knows, maybe I will be back some day to put on an English language play!


J.

Nincsenek megjegyzések: